Monday, May 17, 2010

Remember The Good Old Days?


I remember, back in the day, riding my white Kuwahara KZ1 down to the local drug store to check out the latest issues of Creem or Circus magazine. I rarely had enough money to buy the mags, so I would usually just get some Fun Dip candy. How's that for a great idea, a little bag of colored sugar that you ate with a sugar stick? Genius! Yet for some strange reason, it always made me feel a little bit happier. The other great thing was that I could leave my bike outside the store without ever worrying if it was still going to be there when I got back. No locks, no chains...just blind faith.

Had I known that that old Kuwahara would become a valuable collector's item, I would have treated it with a little more respect. Instead of letting it fall down when I got off the bike, I could have gently laid it on the ground. But what kid in his right mind is going to do that? It was much more satisfying to just let it fall.

Fast forward 25 years or so, and I have once again been bitten by the BMX bug. I can't really ride anymore like I use to, but it sure is fun to look back and remember when.